Re: Configuring Tor and Privoxy in Squeeze

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:59:29 +0100, AG wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am attempting to get Tor and Privoxy working with Iceweasel, but it
> keeps throwing up errors.

[...]

> Under the preferences option of the Iceweasel Tor Button, running the
> test, this is the output:
>
> Tor proxy test: Internal error

[...]

> So, I am stumped.  Without Tor being enabled, the connection is fine,
> and when Tor is enabled, looking through Iceweasel
> preferences/Advanced/Network/Settings the following is enabled:
>
> Manual proxy configuration
> HTTP Proxy 127.0.0.1 Port 8118
> [I do not have "use this proxy server for all protocols" checked]
> SSL Proxy 127.0.0.1 Port 8118

I have the same settings, except for using "localhost" instead of
"127.0.0.1".  This should not make any difference, though.

> Socks Host 127.0.0.1 Port 9050
> Socks v5 enabled
> No Proxy for: localhost, 127.0.0.1

The same configuration works for me.

> The following is my /etc/privoxy/config file (without the commented
> sections):

[...]

> forward-socks5   /               127.0.0.1:9050 .

I have this instead, as per the example given in the comments of the
config file:

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

You should check if Tor and privoxy are actually listening for
connections on the ports that you specify; see the output of these
commands (as root):

lsof -i :8118 -i :9050

netstat -plant | grep -E ':(8118|9050)'

          Florian   |