Re: Forcing mount to use a particular file system type

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Oliver Schneider <Borbarad@gmxpro.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to mount a volume that is supposed to be FAT32, all sources I could find agree on that and so does sfdisk (reporting it as FAT32). However, the FS ID in the partition table is different, because it is a so-called "backup capsule" from Paragon Drive Backup.
>
> Now I'd really like to mount that thing under Linux, without changing the FS ID.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or maybe the exact way? Maybe it's similar to mounting a QCOW image where one has to give a special offset?!
>
> BTW: I tried to mount it as vfat and ntfs, neither one worked.
>
> Thanks,
>
> // Oliver

Did you install the package dosfstools from apt?  I don't think it is
installed in a default debian install and that has all the extras
needed to mount fat32.  I don't think mount cares too much about the
partition type in fdisk if you specifically pass it the filesystem
type using the -t option.

What is the partition type showing up as in fdisk?

--
Brent Kolasinski

CUIR Tech Center
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee