Re: hi, all, help me with debian installation!!

On 2009-05-27_23:18:52, Yi Zhao wrote:
> yes, I do this, but, when I choose this, it tell me this operation will create a new partitions on this disk, I think this will erase my data on my disk, so I choose "go back"
> ?
> I can't find choose partitions in other operations...
> ?
> ?
> thanks.

The manually partition selection does not change anything on disk
until you choose to write to the disk. Do not write to disk until you
are satisfied with the arrangement that you are setting up. Do not try
to change anything about the Windows partition. If you think you may
have accidentally changed something about the Windows partition, break
off work, back up, and restart the install. Take notes of what the
messages are - word-for-word.

The way you interact with the partitioner is not, in my opinion, easy
or obvious. Try different things until you understand how it responds,
and what it is telling you that it will do (in its own cryptic way).

Then, using that knowledge, set up the linux partition to be
re-formatted, and mounted as the root of the Debian file space,
i.e. as slash (/).

You will need, also, a swap partition. It should already be there. If
it is already there just leave it there. It will be found and used
properly.

Only when you are happy with the setup, should you finish and write to
disk. If anything confuses you, choose back-up, and come back to this
list with a more specific question.

Later, when you are setting up the boot loader, grub, will you be
asked about what to do with the Windows partition. Read the message
carefully.  The grub installer should find your Windows partition and
tell you that it has found it. It should also ask you if there are any
other partitions that it hasn't found. From what you have written, I
gather that there are not any other partitions that contain operating
systems, so you should answer honestly. Be careful how the question
is worded. I can't remember whether the correct answer is 'yes' or 'no'.

If you find the actual question confusing and are not sure how to
answer, again, break off the install and ask this list for detailed
help. Include the exact wording of the question that confuses you.

Hope this helps,
Paul