Re: Does the vfat partition need defrag under Gnu/Linux ?

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:41:09AM -0300, Hashimoto wrote:

I have an external disk actually using one vfat partition type, so I'm
wondering if it's necessary to defrag it since I used to save and
remove a lot and large files.

This isn't really a Linux question; it's a filesystem question. FAT
partitions don't handle fragmentation well, so if you're seeing
performance problems you should either defrag it from Windows (either
natively or from inside VirtualBox) or back up the disk and restore it
to a clean partition.

Yeah. It's annoying that Linux can't defrag FAT natively (or most filesystems for that matter, the notable exception being ext4).