Re: Is gnome built on top of twm?

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 13:40 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> > Paul E Condon wrote:
> >  > ...  [gdm] needs a window manager before the user has even logged in.

No.  xdm/kdm/gdm don't use a window manager (that's why the look and
feel is so different). Just run "ps ax" from a console if you have a
doubt.

> > What features of a window manager does it need or use?
> >
> > (I don't use gdm.  Does it have multiple windows that the user might
> > need to move around or that the user might want to see decorated?)

> I removed twm, and gdm still works fine here.

I can think of two good reasons (at least) why twm is there:
1. if the [gnome|kde|xfce|...] window manager is broken, you can still
   open a GUI session using twm to fix the problem.
2. if you remove gnome/gdm (because you want to switch to pure KDE
   system, for example), the packages dependencies on x-window-manager
   are still met... and not all packages are removed.
So using 390k to make the users' life easier seems a good deal.

Regards,

Franklin