Re: Second ethernet card seems to cause networking failure?

Following up, particularly on Adrian Levi's suggestion to eliminate
the gateway spec in /etc/network/interfaces:

Thanks, Adrian!  Your idea makes sense.  Trying it: it changes the
routing table exactly as you described, causing my routing table to
match yours (excepting, of course, the specific IP#s).

Regrettably, the problem persists - though possibly with a different
threshold of sorts, as pinging now seems to work.  However-
	apt-get update
still hangs.  I have to kill BOTH the firewall and eth1 in order to
make this work (not seeming to wait indefinitely for communication).

I think the gateway correction is definitely a step in the right
direction.

In case someone want to know (I'm not trying to withhold information!)
my /etc/apt/sources.list is very boring:

	deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
	deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Thanks to everyone for your ideas... hopefully the next one will resolve
matters entirely.

	-f