Re: OT:How to Connect GPS to Laptop?

Thomas H. George wrote:
I have an old Magellan 315 GPS which I would like to connect to a laptop
with only USB ports (OLPC).  Checking the Debian packages I see three -
gpsman, gpsd and gpsbabel - which can understand the NMEA ouput from the
GPS.
I would appreciate any guidance or references to adapters needed to make
a working connection.

Tom

Tom,

Making an adapter for the Magellan to a serial (DB9) plug isn't too hard if you're comfortable with a soldering iron - see http://www.geocities.com/gormikk/conexione.htm for one way to do it.

Going to a USB plug is a little harder because the wiring on the USB is different. If you need to go to a USB adapter, I suggest you just get a USB to Serial adapter. It will be much easier.

I don't know what software (if any) will work with the Magellan, though.