Re: KDE is now broken (Fwd: Heads-up: KDE4 hitting testing tonight (UTC) )

In <[🔎] 20090526173038.GO2496@pear.tzafrir.org.il>, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:06:48AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>> lee wrote:
>> > Even if I wanted to run an RDBMS because it's needed for something I
>> > want, I'd think at least twice about it and look for another solution
>> > first to keep the resource usage low: There are some games I want to
>> > play, and I don't want to have to try stopping things that are running
>> > before I can play them smoothly.
>> A database server that isn't doing anything doesn't use any resources.
>Memory?

Postgres, in particular, might do auto-vacuuming and misc. tasks even when
it is not processing queries or updates.  Oracle, in particular, allows
triggers to run in a separate transaction, in parallel (or after) the main
transaction.

Just because you aren't using a RDBMS actively does not mean it has gone
idle.

I think lee could be satisfied with a SQLite backend, despite rumors of
performance issues.  I'm sure they would prefer something based on multiple
CSV files (structured, but must mostly human-readable) instead, and I see no
technical roadblocks to that goal.

Lee, could you do or sponsor such development?  That's probably the most
direct method to getting what you want.  However, impassioned pleas,
rational debate, ranting and raving, or a combination might also bring
results.