Re: Is gnome built on top of twm?

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 13:48, Foss User <fossist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please see the following output I generated from Squeeze.
>
> $ aptitude why twm
> i   gnome                     Depends  gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.24.3~2)
> i A gnome-desktop-environment Depends  gdm (>= 2.20.9)
> i A gdm                       Depends  gnome-session |
> x-session-manager | x-window-manager | x-terminal-emulator
> i   twm                       Provides x-window-manager
>
> 1. It shows that twm was installed because gdm needs a window manager
> and twm is one such window manager. Does it mean that gnome is
> dependent on twm?

No, anything listed under the virtual package x-window-manager will
satisfy the dependency.

> 2. Is it possible to run gnome with some other window manager?

Gnome normally uses metacity, but there are a large number of
other WMs that can work with Gnome.

> 3. I am unable to see any twm process in the ps listing. Why?

It probably is not running. If you use Aptitude's interactive view
and look at the reverse dependencies, it will list GDM, but that
is deceptive: any x-window-manager will fill that, and you can,
in fact, remove twm as long as you have some other WM installed.

> 4. Can someone share the equivalent 'aptitude why' output from a
> system running KDE?

Sorry, I don't use KDE or Gnome. Maybe someone else will.