Re: Telinit question

On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 20:08 -0400, Alan Greenberger wrote:
> I have a question about telinit use.  For a long time, I occasionally
> have done "telinit 1" before doing a backup.  However, I noticed in the
> man page that it says:
>
>  On a Debian system, entering runlevel 1  causes  all  processes  to  be
>  killed  except  for kernel threads and the script that does the killing
>  and other processes in its session.  As a consequence of this, it isn’t
>  safe  to  return from runlevel 1 to a multi-user runlevel: daemons that
>  were started in runlevel S and are needed for normal operation  are  no
>  longer running.  The system should be rebooted.

I fount the commit in the repository:
<URL:http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-sysvinit/sysvinit/trunk/debian/patches/10_doc_manuals.dpatch?rev=237&sc=1>

It's related to this bug:

> Is this statement due to a change in Debian after Sarge, or is it just a
> new warning in the man page for an old problem?

The killall is still there, so it seems it hasn't changed.
Anyway, once you are in runlevel 1, rebooting is almost as fast as
switching to runlevel 2.

> Is this a likely problem or only a corner case that would rarely show
> up?  I never saw a problem from teliniting back up, but I am thinking
> I should modify my ways.
>
> [One problem is that I leave large files in /tmp that I later transfer
> somewhere.  If I just were to reboot, they would disappear.

As you probably know, /var/tmp/ is not purged on reboot.

> I gather that I should be able to thwart that by setting TMPTIME=1 in
> /etc/default/rcS .]

yep

> What are people currently doing before and after backup?

Stop/start services (one could use a runlevel for that)

Regards,

Franklin