logitech quickcam, lenny

I've been trying to get my logitech quickcam chat to work, to no avail.
I've pasted some relevant info to > http://debian.pastebin.com/d55219dd7

(output from dmesg, lsusb, lsmod, ls -la /proc/video/quickam, etc., etc.)

I've done much googling and rtfm-ing, although I've found nothing specific to my model (quickcam chat), but many other logitech quickcams. I've loaded and m-a and modprobed gspca, qc-usb, quickcam, sacrificed my two best goats, and done the rain dance (thundering already), tried the backport 2.6.29 kernel, and run around the hills of Rome 7 times, but no joy.

There is no /dev/video0, which seems to be an issue, but I am not aware of how to resolve that. I read something about mknod, but not sure if this is a potential solution, or how to use it (read the man, even). I'm a bit confused about that.

Camera, camorama, cheese, skype, can not see the camera, but it is listed in lsusb. These programs all tell me that there is no relevant device. Xsane, oddly enough, does see the camera and can get a very rough image (not enough light when I tried that, perhaps) if I use 2.6.29 kernel, but not with 2.6.28. I had difficulties installing the headers for 2.6.29 (kept getting some [Error 2], despite following these instructions to load the headers: http://paste.debian.net/36920/ and attempting to get them with aptitude -t lenny backports), however, which rendered difficult (impossible) loading of relevant modules for that kernel, so switched back to 2.6.28. I did load the modules for the 2.6.28 kernel without issue, to my knowledge, except the remaining issue, of course, that my camera is not working and not seen by any relevant apps (including xsane for 2.6.28 kernel).

I had the camera working perfectly with kopete, camorama, etc. in PCLinuxOS with gspca modules (but not with skype), and it was pretty trivial to get that going. In Ubuntu, cheese could see and use the camera, but not kopete, skype, etc. I didn't do much fiddling with Ubuntu, b/c I had it on here for a week before deciding I didn't want it holding my hand, and installed Lenny (why ride in the cheap seats when I can get on the mothership?)

If anyone has one of these working, or knows how I can get it working, I would be muy agradecido.

Various sincere attempts were made to assist me at #debian, but still to no avail. I don't seem to be able to find logs from the channel at oftc.net. I don't know if logs are publicly available.

thanks,
tony

--