Re: sudo vs. su (was Re: new to list, new to debian, new to linux)

In Friday 22 May 2009, Glyn wrote:
>--- On Fri, 22/5/09, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> Glyn Astill wrote:
>> > ALL=(All) ALL is a bad idea.
>>
>> Um, no.  With 'ALL=(ALL) ALL' they would still have to
>> type in their
>> password unless they had recently given their
>> credentials.  If you want to
>> you can turn off the caching of credentials, so that sudo
>> always asks for a
>> password.  You can also have it ask for the target
>> user's password instead
>> of the source user's password, if you like.
>>
>> 'ALL=(ALL) ALL' is no more dangerous than having the 'su'
>> binary available.
>>
>> The NOPASSWD option is not the default.
>
>No. For su they'd have to enter the root password, for sudo su they'd just
> have to enter the password of the current user and they are root.

1. That depends on how the administrator has configured sudo; my openSUSE
laptop asks for root's password when my user runs sudo.
2. That is an advantage, not a disadvantage in many environments; the more a
password is shared the harder it is to protect and change.

'ALL=(ALL) ALL' is differently secure than have a 'su' binary around, but it
is not more or less secure.