[OT] Wireless Router WGR614v9 issues

I'm having some issues with a new router.  For normal browsing it seems
to perform fine.  However when I start to download large files speeds drop
off from around over 1400KB/s down to 120KB/s.  I haven't put a stopwatch
to it but it seems to be around the same amount of time.  A simple restart
of the router and all is fine.  This most often happens when getting
binaries from newsgroups.  Either that has something to do with it or just
normally where the large files come from I'm not sure. Remembering reading
something a while back about a lot of connections being the sinking point
for most routers I cut those back to 10 from 20 with the same results.

I thought that I was being throttled by the ISP, but then  tried
half a dozen times wired with large files and everything has worked as
expected with speeds staying up around 1000K. I even noticed when moving
large files across the wlan via scp or rsycn the speeds are a lot slower
than I had expected.  Starting around 2M/s dropping off to around 700K or
less.

I know the router isn't exactly the best of the bunch, it was the cheapest
on the shelf.  I've upgraded the firmware to the latest and greatest with
no increase in performance.  I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do next
short of replacing the router.  I read a bit about the DD-WRT project but
it seems my model (WGR614v9) is not yet supported with a work in progress
tag.

And what exactly is going on?  Some packet collision or something?  I'm no
networking guru so I don't know all the terms I should be searching for.

Running tests at speakeasy.net/speed test shows me the following..

- -Wireless- (after the first 'crash' downloading)
Download Speed: 831 kbps (103.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1941 kbps (242.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

- -Wireless- (after a router restart)
Download Speed: 13376 kbps (1672 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2773 kbps (346.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

- -Wired-
Download Speed: 14676 kbps (1834.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2799 kbps (349.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

So as you can see I would really like to get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas on where to go from here or at least some things I should be
searching for and/or reading about would be appreciated.

- --
Daryl Styrk
Naples, FL USA