Re: keyboard mapping problem under X

----- "Jan Willem Stumpel" <jstumpel@planet.nl> a écrit :
> > i use, whilst living in France, a german keyboard...
>
> You take the trouble to mention this: any special reason? For
> instance, do you want to type mostly French on a German keyboard?
exactly! and if you ask why: the french layout is completely out of my taste...

> KDE or Gnome have GUI utilities that will make the keyboard do
> what you want (i.e. without directly editing system files).
> Probably in something called "System, Keyboard".
well.... my students call me "dino"... all that graphical stuff isn't really what i
fancy, even if iy have to admit that having X running, that allows an impressive
number of shells to be opened at the same moment and visible (still use screen though :D)
and if i see how much ram that stuff takes that isn't then available to my numerical simulations....

> If (like me) you want to avoid using KDE/Gnome, you can *also*
> make the keyboard do what you want. The German keyboard is called
> "de". It has several so-called "variants":
i tried that in the xorg.conf without result....

>   setxkbmap de [-variant <name of variant>]
heh, never too old to learn new stuff! that did it!
and that's awesome! i directly integrated it into my bashrc
that does bypass all those automatisms that don't seem to work at the moment!
thanks a lot!

> You can use the setxkbmap command to experiment with keyboard
> layouts and variants. Once you have selected what you want, you
> can put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the keyboard section, in a
> slightly different format, using one line for the keyboard and
> another for the variant, e.g.:
>
>   Option "XkbLayout" "de"
>   Option "XkbVariant" "deadgraveacute"
well that's the stuff i tryed and that didn't work...
here's the section i tryed:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option      "XkbOptions"        "ctrl:nocaps"

EndSection

kbd is still on nodeadkeys...

but with the solution of setxkbdmap it works fine!

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org