Gnome System Sounds (again)

Hey there,

I am on SID and have the same problem with both my machines.

Sound works fine in general, only the gnome system sounds don't. I can't
enable them in system -> preferences -> sound because all the checkboxes
are greyed out and unclickable.

gnome-audio and ESD is installed. I read on some forums to try
pulseaudio instead, so I did, and the pulseaudio sound server was
running, I was able to play sounds through it, but the
gnome-system-sound situation did not change at all.

I appreciate any suggestions :)

Thanks you guys!

--
Cheers,