Re: gnome-terminal and pango

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sun,17.May.09, 01:39:07, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
Does gnome-terminal use Pango?  Is there any way one could make it do so?
I could only find a nine years old thread on this topic on gtk-i18n-list:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2000-October/msg00020.html

And that doesn't look encouraging.  I am looking for a terminal that
renders Indic scripts well.  TIA.

Try rxvt-unicode.

Thanks for the reply.  But rxvt-unicode doesn't even render the
Devanagari characters.  (gnome-terminal does that well, my only
problem is with ligatures, etc. which are necessary for this script.)
rxvt-unicode documentation says:

   devanagari however has no special support because I couldn't (and
   still cannot) imagine that anybody would be ok with the extremely
   miserable indic rendering that rxvt-unicode currently does.

Sad.  (And the Indic Linux Developer's meet concluded just yesterday!)

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - athene.org.in/girish