Re: No console from X

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:45:16 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> > Do you see any framebuffer devices at all?
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/fb*
> > crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 2009-05-16 19:43 /dev/fb0
>
> Nope.  No fb anything in /dev.
> [snip]

[...]

> I haven't rolled my own since my gentoo days.  I run 2.6.26-2-686.  It looks
> like yours but for CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT, which is not an option at
> all.  Not that it's not set - it doesn't exist in the kernel.

I suspect that is normal for this older kernel. (My kernel is from the
2.6.29 series.)

>                                                                If you look at
> Joel Roth's post, it doesn't seem to be in his, either, and he's facing the
> same problem.  Is it that config that generates the fb*?

Unfortunately, I am not sure what to think of the missing fb device, so
can only make some very general suggestions:

- In an X terminal, become root and run

  modprobe -v nvidiafb

  Does that help at all, do you get any error messages?

- Check the nvidia documentation for hints about this kind of problem; I
  have not used the nvidia driver in more than two years, so I might be
  missing something really obvious about how VT switching is supposed to
  work now.

- Try to run X with the "vesa" or the "nv" driver instead of the
  "nvidia" one. Does that restore the abiltity to switch to a
  functioning console?

- Try a newer version of the kernel (from backports.org) and/or the
  newest version of the nvidia driver.

- Try to play with the nvidia-settings tool; I would watch out for
  controls related to display brightness, the backlight, and
  (de)activation of output pipes.

          Florian   |