RE: response from the host command for a private address listed in /etc/hosts

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Peter Crawford wrote:

> Boyd & others,
>
> > Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:52:12 -0500
> > So, it always uses DNS, not paying attention to your settings in
> > nsswitch.conf. In particular, it doesn't read /etc/hosts because it
> > doesn't use the "files" NS module.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> dnsmasq on a linux router can provide a subordinate machine on the LAN
> with a public ip address.  Can someone offer a little direction to
> allow me to have the private addresses specified in /etc/hosts also
> available to the LAN machines.

dnsmasq uses /etc/hosts as its DNS database as well as its DHCP
configuration. If /etc/hosts includes private addresses, that's what
dnsmasq will report. It'll forward any DNS queries that /etc/hosts can't
answer to an outside DNS server of your choice. If you tell your LAN
machines to use the router (with dnsmasq) as their DNS server, that
should work.

Or do I misunderstand?

- Aaron