Re: Using terminal output as input

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM, S Scharf <ss11223@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not pretty but how about
> `ekiga | head -2 | tail -1`
>
> (note use of backticks)

That's creative! It doesn't seem to work on this system, I will try on
Real Debian (tm) when I get home. However, it does require
foreknowledge of the output, which I suppose is all right if the user
can run the same command again.

Oops, the output of ekiga is going to stderr and not stdout. Only stdout gets piped.

Anyone know how to capture and pipe stdout?

to answer my own question try this:

$(ekiga 2>/dev/stdout | head -2 | tail -1)

Stuart

Stuart

I just thought that there would be a command made for this, as it
seems to be a common situation. I did not think that it would have to
resort to hacks.