Re: Unable to start postgresql on Debian

On Saturday 25 April 2009 03:26:31 Foss User wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Foss User <fossist@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I installed postgresql using the following commands:
> >
> > aptitude update
> > aptitude install postgresql
> >
> > I tried to start it:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start
> >
> > But I don't find any process with the 'sql' string in it in the ps
> > list. Also, I am unable to connect using psql. There are no logs in
> > /var/log/postgresql directory.
> >
> > Could someone please help in troubleshooting this?
>
> I did a little bit of troubleshooting myself by putting echo
> statements in the /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 file and the script it
> calls: /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-functions
>
> The script is looking for /etc/postgresql/8.3 directory but it does
> not exist on my Debian Squeeze. So, the init script fails. Could
> someone please tell me why this happened.
This probably means that you don't have a database cluster ready.  This is
usually done at the end of installing the postgresql package.  This happens
to me when I install postgresql with a preseed file in the debian installer,
but I don't know why you have this problem.

To fix this, try this command (as root):

pg_createcluster 8.3 main --start

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson