Re: filter utility to send cron e-mail only if unexpected output

Title: Re: filter utility to send cron e-mail only if unexpected output

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 11:27:55AM -0400, Barclay, Daniel wrote:
>> Does Debian have any utility to address the following situation?
>>
>> I have some scripts that I run both manually and as cron jobs.  The scripts
>> generate stdout/stderr output reporting what they're doing.
>>
>> I want to see the output when I run the scripts manually.  However, when the
>> scripts are run by cron, normally I don't want cron to e-mail me that bulky
>> output for each run--I want the output (the full output) only when the output
>> is different than expected (e.g., if something has gone wrong or has changed,
>> which I want to notice).
>
> Why not rewrite the scripts to take a command-line option such as either
> -q (quiet) or -v (verbose), and have it print out the required detail
> depending on the option?  Then have that option supplied by cron when
> its run (or by you when you run it manually).

Because, as I wrote, "I want the output (the full output) only when the output
is different than expected."

The level of detail I want does not depend on just _how_ I run the scripts;
it depends on the results.

And, of course, I'm looking for a more general solution thatn modifying
each script.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]