Re: ideas for Linux router?

Alex Samad wrote:
On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 09:23:52PM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
Hello,

I got an awesome deal today on a Linksys wired Etherfast Cable/DSL
router and 4 port switch - $5 USD at our local Goodwill Computer Store.
They get donations and then sell them (they are a non-profit corp. that helps
the disabled). The model number is: BEFSR41 version 3.

have a look at openwrt.org

No point the BEFSR41 does not run Linux and there is no 3rd party firmware for it, I have one and no longer use it as my firewall / router as there is no way of assigning static IP addresses on it's internal DHCP server.

If you wish to use it as a router and need static IPs you can either assign them manually or turn off the DHCP server and use another one

Or turn off the DHCP server and use it as a 4 port switch

Or what I do with mine is I've changed its IP to 192.168.1.2 and the DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.10 then when I wish to reset / reflash / tinker with my Openwrt box I can put it into Failsafe mode which sets it's IP address to 192.168.1.1 but disables the DHCP server turn on my BEFSR41 renew my IP and telnet into my openwrt box, this saves mucking about with static IPs (which I can't seem to get working) and and makes the whole thing easer.

The BEFSR41 is pretty old now, doesn't have great throughput (12Mb/s??) and is lacking in quite a few features, one thing going for it is it has a really good h.323 helper if you use that VOIP protocol.

What exactly can I do with this in Linux? I have 2 computers and would
like to network them using this.

It came with a 6 foot ethernet cable and a 12V power adapter. Any ideas
and/or pointers on what to do to set this up in Linux would be great.
Right now I have raw ethernet frames being sent to my laptop which is
using static IP so I have nothing in the way:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
66.93.172.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         66.93.172.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

My eventual goal is to setup a DMZ network and route my public network
traffic behind that but for the present I just want to get my 2
computers sharing the DSL line using this router I got.

Here is my planned DMZ setup:
http://www.hyperyoda.org/my-DMZ-network-diagram.png

PS: The Goodwill store has a 20 port Agilent switch (still wrapped in
plastic in the box) for $20.
Is that also a good deal?

Zach