Re: [OT] netbook recommendation

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:39:06PM +0200, Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> Most eeepc seem to be well supported and some have a good battery
> life. nc10 seems good but it's not cheap nor friendly. dell mini 9 is
> really cheap but has little battery and bradcom wifi. So... what would
> you recommend?

I'm using an Eee PC 901 right now, although it's running Ubuntu 9.04
(Netbook Remix) rather than Debian proper... works beautifully, and is
currently priced at about $280.  I made the following (mostly minor)
tweaks:

   * Upgraded the memory to 2 GB (max supported), which has a current cost
     of approximately $26.

   * Joined /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (internal SSD storage) into a LVM volume
     group, except for a small /boot filesystem, and host / and swap there.

   * My /home resides on a 16 GB SD card, to allow for easy removal if I ever
     need to leave the netbook unattended.  I'll likely  encrypt it as well in
     the future, but don't have time to work through the configuration at
     present.

The only problem I've encountered is that the SD card isn't always finished
initializing when the filesystems get mounted, so sometimes /home isn't
available... this only occurs when booting under battery power.  My current
workaround was to add the following lines to /etc/rc.local:

   # mount /home, if not already present, since the SD card may not be stable
   # during the early boot process
   if [ "`mount | grep -c ' on /home '`" -eq 0 ]; then
      logger -t rc.local "mounting /home at `date`"
      mount /home
   fi

I'll revist this issue once I determine a more appropriate fix.  Apparently
it's not just a Ubuntu/Debian issue, however.

   http://lwn.net/Articles/329788/