Re: debian and ubuntu - answer from user not pretending to be guru

On Monday 04 May 2009 19:10:44 Harry Rickards wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Harry Rickards wrote:
> >> But if they can run aptitude in the first place, surely they could
> >> either su to root or use sudo to read or delete the files. Just my
> >> opinion.
> >
> > Aptitude doesn't need root to run.  I tell my users to check aptitude if
> > they want to find out if I'm willing to install it (largely because I'm
> > lazy and running a hobby system).  You only need root to commit changes.
>
> Sorry, yeah I was thinking of aptitude as in 'aptitude install bash',
> not aptitude as the gui-based tool.

This applies just as much to the CLI.  Aptitude will run for any user, but
only root can commit changes.  I frequently run aptitude at at the CLI as an
ordinary user to use e.g. search, and then change to root if I decide to
install.

Lisi