Re: debian and ubuntu - answer from user not pretending to be guru

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:51:28AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,03.May.09, 10:18:49, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > However, does the package management software (as aptitude does) store
> > user preferences in the home directory?  If, for example, you always run
> > aptitude as yourself then give it the root password when prompted, it
> > stores your preferences in your home directory.  If you later run
> > aptitude as root, those prefernces won't be active.  Also, vis-versa.
>
> It's a bit more weird than this (I thought about filing a whishlist
> bug): when you start aptitude as user it uses his preferences, but as
> soon as you switch to root (via the menu items or when prompted)
> aptitude also switches to root's preferences. Kinda' confusing.

It is not just aptitude, but generic problem for becoming root and
chosing home directory:

$ env|grep HOME
HOME=/home/osamu
$ sudo env|grep HOME
HOME=/home/osamu
$ su -c env|grep HOME
Password:
HOME=/root
$ sudo -H env|grep HOME
HOME=/root

sudo reset most environment variable but $HOME.
Any softwares which use $HOME to decide configuration needs to be
careful about this thing.

Osamu