Backing Up CMOS Settings Under Linux

	I first thought it was my imagination, but I have had
two Dell Dimension computers change their boot drive order. I
don't know when it happens because they change to boot the hard
drive just after trying the floppy such that the CDROM is last.
This makes it hard to boot from any CDROM until the CMOS gets
changed back.

	As a computer user who is blind, this is annoying
because one must look at the screen to set things back as there
is no network interface or serial port or much of anything else
up when in BIOS setup mode.

	I would be perfectly happy with an application that read
the current settings, saved them to a file and then could force
them back in if necessary.

	This may be that bug I read about concerning the lower
64KB of memory getting corrupted.

	In any case, both Dells in question had the very same
thing happen to them with no other ill effects.

	Of course, if you change it back, one can not make it
corrupt on demand. It's like a bolt out of the blue.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer