etch Something is missing when Building Kernel with make-kpkg

The command is make-kpkg buildpackage. So far, it has never
worked under etch. The build starts out but fails after about a
minute:

  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  /home/martin/linux-2.6.29/scripts/gen_initramfs_list.sh: Cannot open 'y'
make[3]: *** [usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz] Error 1
make[2]: *** [usr] Error 2

	I have linux-kernel-headers and kernel-package
installed. When I was running sarge, I could compile kernels
with nothing more than make after doing the configuration.

Thanks for any ideas as to how to find out what is missing.

Martin McCormick