GDM and gnome session malfunction

Hi there,

Massive update last night, went really really well, so far just one small issue
so I'm happy.

When I logged out and back in, GDM went haywire and could not start. There was
an error, but it was up on the screen and gone too quickly for me to remember.
It kept trying, so I managed to get to a prompt and kill gdm.

Running startx and startxfce4 gave me xfce, but I do want to have Gnome
available, so I created an .xinitrc with 'exec gnome-session'. When I run
startx I just get a default X screen, ie. solid background, X cursor.

I can totally do without GDM, but what is the proper invocation of Gnome these
days?