Re: Kernel failure

Le Tuesday 28 April 2009 03:55:47 Thamm, Russell, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed lenny under VirtualBox as I wanted to try a
> different Linux distribution.
>
> When I logon to a Gnome session, I often get a popup saying:
>
> "Your system has had a kernel failure"
>
> It most often happens the first time I logon using gnome after a boot.
> I don't get this if I select a KDE session.

It is the package kerneloops.

$ aptitude show kerneloops
Package: kerneloops
[...]
 kerneloops is a daemon that collects kernel crash information and then
submits the extracted signature to the kerneloops.org
 website for statistical analysis and presentation to the Linux kernel
developers.

> How do I track this down?

Look at /var/log/kernel.log
You should find some logs and a kernel Ooops ! (an error in the kernel or a
module).
I think it will not be very informative.

I also have this at every boot on my Thinkpad T41 running SID.
I think it's related to the wifi chipset having problem with the firmware
ipw2100. It is reloaded very often.