Re: xmodmap

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:07:03 +0000, marc wrote:
I'm trying to use the following local .xmodmaprc

  keycode  26 = e E e E eacute Eacute
  keycode  31 = i I i I iacute Iacute
  keycode  32 = o O o O oacute Oacute
  keycode  30 = u U u U uacute Uacute
  keycode  57 = n N n N ntilde Ntilde

via

  $ xmodmap .xmodmaprc

This runs fine, but the mappings for e and n don't 'take'. Initially, it's as if eacute, Eacute, ntilde and Ntilde aren't defined.

[...]

Any idea why there's a problem with the e and n keys?

You probably use a keyboard layout on which these two keys are of type
TWO_LEVEL or ALPHABETIC. That means the only recognized modifier is
SHIFT/CAPSLOCK and all further symbols are ignored. This behavior is
documented in /usr/share/X11/doc/input/XKB-Enhancing.txt.

I do not know how to override these restricted type definitions with
xmodmap, but it is not difficult to tweak the layout with xkbcomp:

$ xkbcomp $DISPLAY layout.xkb

With the Upgraded xserver-xorg (1:7.4+1) I get:

/etc/X11Tue Apr 28-05:55:47SDB5# xkbcomp $DISPLAY
Warning:          Could not load keyboard geometry for :0.0
                  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
                  Resulting keymap file will not describe geometry

Hugo