Looking for Advice on Debian Server Setup

I am setting up a new server for Plone/Zope sites on a Linode VPS. Reading the "Securing Debian Manual" (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/), it recommends separate partitions for /tmp, /home, /opt, and /var. I was talking with some of the Linode folks on IRC to find out how to set up separate partitions, and they felt that it was unnecessary to have separate partitions for a production server (regardless if it is on Linode or not).

I am interested in any opinions on the subject from this list.

Thanks

Mark