All locales in /usr/share/locale

Greetings earthlings.

While crusing around i came across /usr/share/locale. Now, i only
installed 2 locales, yet my system had... a whole lot. It's an old
system, so i checked a freshly installed laptop - same thing: roughly
150 locale directories. Why's that? I know 3.6MB is not much, but i
dislike having stuff i don't need (and i might want to run Debian on
an old pc with a small hd).

Is this policy? Changeable?

Technicly, can i safely remove unused locales? I do use localepurge
(on the new system since isntall), but there don't seem to be included
in the process.

TIA,
Nuno

/\  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto