Re: lenny won't boot after re-install

Don Raikes wrote:
Hi Nuno,

I followed the instructions from this page:

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html

rebooted without the livecd, and nothing. I put my hand on the top of the system, and it feels like the hard drive keeps searching for something to load. I am wondering if my harddrive is failing.

Any tips on how to test/fix it are appreciated.
If I understand the state of your machine:

1. you did a reinstall from DVD, and all went smoothly until you rebooted, at which point the machine just hangs (by any chance, does the message "boot from CD" show up at that point?)

2. if you boot from a LiveCD, the machine comes up

3. you tried to do a grub-install, but it didn't work

Assuming that your hard disk is /dev/hda (otherwise replace hda with your disk's name), try this:

i. boot from a LiveCD

ii. mount your hard drive - say, with:

mkdir test
mount /dev/hda test

then start looking around in test, to see if the disk looks ok (do some ls commands and such)
see if ls test/boot contains grub and such

if it looks like that's all good, then:

iii. unmount the hard disk with:
umount /dev/hda

iv. then try this to rebuilt grub and the mbr:

grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

v. if all goes well, you'll have a properly installed grub and mbr

vi. try to reboot from the hard disk

Miles Fidelman