locale message error

Dear debianners,

I just installed lenny in my girlfriend laptop. We live in Brazil, and
initially I  chooses pt-br as the default language of the system.
After this, I've changed my mind, and moved to the en_US.UTF-8
locales. But now, each time the desktop is loaded, appears and
inoffensive but annoying message "Language pt_BR.UTF-8 does not exist;
using system default". The default language is English, as I defined
before. I would like to eliminate this message.

The ouput of locale command is the following:

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

and the content of /etc/default/locale is

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

so, I wonder from where the system tries to load the pt_BR.UTF-8 locales...

Any help will be very welcome

Regards

Marcelo