Re: Boot Debian to a command line and prevent X from starting on boot

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:25:36AM -0400, Robert Menes wrote:
> Hi folks, I have a Debian lenny-stable install that I need a little
> memory refresher with.
>
> I need to boot and go straight to a terminal, and not start X on
> bootup. I know there was a
> way of doing so, but I forgot (I'm a little rusty and need to not be rusty).
>
> Can someone tell me how to just boot and land on the command line,
> bypassing X? Thanks!

In R-H variants, starting in runlevel 2 does the trick.

But this is Debian.  You need to set up your inittab by your self and do
it by providing boot parameters.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch04.en.html#therunlevelmanagementexample

Grub boot parameter after typig "e":
change:
kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
to something like:
kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 2