RE: Whatzit.

It's Samba!  Samba's what's not working!  Help!

Lynn

From: phileksa@hotmail.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Whatzit.
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:46:50 -0400

The whatzit won't let me login to the computer remotely using the debian login, although the whozit on the other website said that it should be thus configured.  The howzit sez it should be working just fine, and the Debian machine can see our Windows machines, and our Windows machines our Debian machine, but we can't log in to the Debian machine.

The thingamajig that attempts to connect to the Debian machine asks us for usernames and passwords when we try to connect.  I get that.  That's supposed to be normal.  I think.  We put in the Debian Username and password and press enter, and the thingamajig on Windows changes the login to "ComputerName\DebianLogin" and just keeps asking over and over for us to tell it that stuff.

Furthermore, I have a suspicion that the whatzit, which is supposed to be the file server app for Debian, won't allow us to work with the Debian machine as intended.  Specifically, there is more than one person who should have read-write access to the archives on the Debian machine at any given time, but it seems to want to lump all of us in to our own little directories on the Debian machine, thus defeating the purpose of a shared file archive on the Debian machine!

Perhaps ya'll can tell me the wherezat I have to use and and the doodads I have to fix to get the whatzit working again.

I am being totally serious about this.  It's not my fault that in my frustration I fergot all the technical terms and caused you to spray your drink all over your monitor!

Lynn

Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.

Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.