[SOLVED!] Re: openoffice font problems

Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:27:50 +0200 Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> For some documents that were apparently prepared with a proprietary
>> application for users of a proprietary OS, some characters (mainly
>> greek letters in mathematics) are not correctly displayed in
>> openoffice.org. I tried both lenny's and backport's 3.0.
>>
>> FWIW the document _prints_ fine from OO.o 3.0.
>>
>> On screen, however, greek fonts are replaced by upright or slanted
>> rectangles.
>>
>> Any hints, what's wrong?
>
> I _suspect_ that the 'Symbol' font has been used for the Greek
> characters.  (Could you check that?)

You are right!

> And the Symbol font is not installed by default.  It's not in OO.o's
> font drop-down list, right?  It's not in msttcorefonts either.

You are right!

> So, you would have to get symbol.ttf from some Windows installation,
> and install it just by putting it into /usr/local/share/fonts or into
> ~/.fonts .

Some searching on my system and with apt-file, dpkg -S, etc. revealed
that the package xfonts-mathml has some files that look relevant:

$ apt-file search Symbol\. |grep font
[...]
xfonts-mathml: /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/Symbol.afm
xfonts-mathml: /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/Symbol.pfb
xfonts-mathml: /usr/share/fonts/type1/mathml/Symbol.afm
xfonts-mathml: /usr/share/fonts/type1/mathml/Symbol.pfb
[...]

Installing xfonts-mathml fixed it.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,