Re: Testing cat-5 cables with Debian as opposed to cable tester?

> The problem with trying to determine the quality of the cable based
> on error measurements is that many if not most of the errors are due
> to factors (e.g. external induced noise) that do not depend on the
> cable quality.  IMO cable quality is best measured with instruments
> designed for that purpose.

Short of hiring a professional to come to my house and analyze my
network, what can a home user do to ensure that his cables are in good
condition and working properly, and not routed near noisy components?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il