Re: Question about get-selections

In <[🔎] loom.20090422T085218-105@post.gmane.org>, J.M.Roth wrote:
>Now... I've been playing a little bit with this.
>
>First, I get some
>warning: Unknown type error, skipping line
>using debconf-set-selections < ...

Hrm, that's somewhat troubling.  It won't affect which packages are
installed, but it will affect how they are configured.

>While that does not worry me much, I get a
>xargs: aptitude: exited with status 255; aborting
>at the end of
>xargs -r -- aptitude markauto < ...
>Probably, this is because conflicts are generated, however there were/are
> no conflicts on the original system.
>
>Of and BTW you had better use:
>#dpkg --get-selections | awk '$2 == "install"' > ...
>(Note the *two* equality signs) I was wondering where all those
> unnecessary conflicts were coming from ;-)

D'oh!

Sorry, my awk skills are still growing, and I didn't thoroughly test the
actions I proposed.

>I need to say that sometimes I feel a bit dazzled by all these tools
>dselect
>dpkg
>apt-get
>aptitude

http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/blog/entry/a-better-map-of-the-apt-
state-files/ might help.

Daniel Burrows does a lot of aptitude development so you might get some more
good information by following his blog
http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/blog/ which is also aggregated on planet
Debian http://planet.debian.net/ .

> I guess the
> auto flag of aptitude is exclusive to aptitude, otherwise we would not
> have to set it manually.

Yes.  Although you *could* set it after you complete the install part of the
restore.  If aptitude needs to change your selections, though, it helps the
resolver to know if something was automatically installed.

>Oh and I guess to make things really right one would have to use
>--get-selections '*'
>during the backup, or an additional
>dpkg --clear-selections
>before the restore. Just a thought.

--clear-selections before the restore makes sense.  But, any selection other
than "install" isn't really necessary to reproduce.