what will happen after removing .so from the filename of /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstladspa.so?

In order to make pidgin work, I removed .so from the filename of
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstladspa.so, but it seems this is a common
file, not speicific for pidgin, I'm afraid some other programs which
use it will break. Could anyone explain simply what does
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstladspa.so do? is it safe to rename it?
thanks.

--
My platform is debian-sid gnome mozilla eclipse monodevelop blender.