Support for Logitech QuckCam S7500 in Lenny?

I looked for software to support the LogiTech QuckCam S7500 (a newish
USB web camera) in Lenny.   Plenty of stuff appeared to be relevant,
but nothing actually seemed to work (for example, one piece of
software turned out to be for parallel port driven cameras).   With
the popularity of Logitech hardware and the sheer number of Debian
packages, I feel reasonably certain that I've missed the obvious
answer.

Does anybody else have it working?   What packages did you require?
Just how did you configure them?    I've tried (or at least installed)
the following packages:

    +gqcam 0.9.1-4
    +luvcview 1:0.2.4-2
    +ekiga-dbg 2.0.12-1+nmu1
    +libexosip2-4 3.1.0-1
    +liblinphone2 2.1.1-1+b1
    +libmediastreamer0 2.1.1-1+b1
    +libortp7 2.1.1-1+b1
    +libosip2-3deb 3.1.0-1
    +linphone 2.1.1-1+b1
    +linphone-common 2.1.1-1
    +linphone-nox 2.1.1-1+b1
    +sip-tester 2.0.1-1.2

I can see the webcam in the output of lsusb, but no /dev/video node
appears (and nothing in /sys/...), so I conclude that it's probably
the kernel-level support which is missing, though I am not sure how to
distinguish that from a HAL problem in this case.

James.