Re: Blank TTYs using the nvidia binary driver

Steve Kreyer wrote:
Hi all,

I have a problem using my TTYs in conjunction with the nvidia binary driver: When I want to switch to any tty using Ctrl+Alt+FX, the graphic card doesn't want to output anything, and my monitor turns off.

I've done a lot of research concerning this issue, but haven't found a solution yet. Most solutions that came up have something to do with the FB driver (vesafb vs. vga16fb vs. fbcon), but unfortunately not even one of them is loaded in my setup. My setup consists just of the pure nvidia driver and "console output". Also there is no vga mode configured at the grub boot prompt.

Iam running an amd64 platform (processor and kernel). The kernel version is 2.6.29.1, the version of my graphic driver is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.44. My kernel config (concerning framebuffer related configuration) looks as followed:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep FB
CONFIG_FB=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=m

lsmod gives me:
$ lsmod | grep "\(fb\|nvidia\)"

When I start my computer the console output is fine until the X-Server is started. After that I get a blank screen when trying to switch to ttyX. Also I noticed that if the x-server doesn't start (so that nvidia module does not load) the TTYs just work as expected.

Does anyone came up with the same problem? Maybe the nvidia driver version is buggy?

Any help on this issue would be very appreciated since a Linux installation without working tty's probably drives me mad :-)

Curious. When did you run into this problem for the first time?

I run Sid's 2.6.29-1 and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.11-pkg1.run and have no such problem.

hugo@debian:/$ lsmod | grep "\(fb\|nvidia\)"
nvidia               4697060  56
i2c_core               21384  3 nvidia,eeprom,i2c_viapro
agpgart                30744  2 nvidia,via_agp

What happens if you use driver 96.43.11?

Did you ask at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Hugo

Hugo