video group permission and webcam apps

Hi,

I've my user to the video group, and don't have problems using a webcam
from Skype, Kopete (video quality sucks here though, and no way of
adjusting it).  On Ekiga, however, I get this permissions error:

Error while opening video device /dev/video0

A moving logo will be transmitted during calls. Notice that you can always transmit a given image or the moving logo by choosing "Picture" as video plugin and "MovingLogo" or "StaticPicture" as device.

There was an error while opening the device. Please check your permissions and make sure that the appropriate driver is loaded.

I assume it's a permissions error because running ekiga as root can open
the webcam ok.  Any ideas what may be going on?  Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb