Re: Software raid OK?

2009/4/21 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:08:22PM +0300, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> > When the date was Monday 20 April 2009, Sam Kuper wrote:
> > > Michael,
> [snip]
> >
> > I don't think there is a silver bullet for this.
> >
> > There is a performance penalty related to soft-RAID. Also swappiness
> > configuration must be taken into account. Physical memory and memory usage
> > patterns from application perspective count too. And of course the required
> > availability for the application is an important factor.
> >
> > All I am saying is that when thorough evaluation of parameters like the
> > above is out of scope, there is probably no good reason to have swap on
> > RAID.
>
> with the cost of hd's being so low, I would suggest the default should
> be swap on a raid1

I'm grateful to Mark, Michael and Alex for their replies.

I'm planning to go ahead with using RAID 1 for swap, as a possible
slight performance hit is more acceptable to me than a crash or data
loss would be. Indeed, that's why I'm using redundant RAID in the
first place.

Apologies for hijacking Bagi's thread!

Best,

Sam