Re: Installing Sid

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 21:21 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> You can install sid directly if you use the business-card image and
> select 'expert' install. You will be prompted for the distribution to
> install. Of course, you need some decent connection to complete the
> install, because the business-card image is to small to hold any
> packages.

> Regards,
> Andrei

Just one thing to be aware of with this method - there is no obvious way
to specify more than one repository when using the business card image
in 'expert' mode. I tried this on an test machine a few weeks back and
at the end of the install I rebooted and was greeted with a command
prompt. It wasn't a big deal to add stable as a backup repository and
pull in the missing dependencies, but it was unexpected nonetheless.

Because sid was the only repository it was installing from, it wasn't
able to resolve all the dependencies for core parts of gnome and gdm at
install time. The situation may have improved now that a lot of the big
changes are getting fleshed out a bit in sid.

--
Mark McCorkell <markmccorkell@tiscali.co.uk>