Re: How to repair a broken system with non-Debian packages?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:15:35PM +0200, Ax. St. wrote:
> Thanks for replying so quickly. Unfortunately things are more complicated:
>
> - I have not only read the release notes but taken five machines through the upgrade
>    process. This is the only machine that poses problems. The other machines just had a few
>    foreign packages installed, so that I could remove them before the upgrade and then
>    re-install them from Lenny. (That's why I think many things exist in Lenny which I used
>    to miss in Etch.)

Ok.

> - A month ago, I posted a bug on the "release-notes" package because the relevant section
>    does not mention how to identify foreign packages, but haven't received any reaction.

Don't hesitate to send additionnal questions/details on the bug
addresss.

> - "apt-show-versions" only shows one of three things:

(Note that apt-cache policy will show you results in a less compact but
more reliable view)

>    - "stable"
>    - nothing if a package is installed but not available in any archive --- Should I remove
>      all of those? How can I tell where exactly they came from?

I think you can't know where it came from.

>    - liba52-0.7.4 0.7.4-woody1 newer than version in archive --- very strange as Woody is
>      clearly _older_ than Etch, let alone Lenny. There are about five more packages like
>      this, but for them I neither Woody, Etch or Lenny are mentioned.

Maybe some apt-show-version bug.

=> I don't know dpkg/aptitude enough to tell you more about that.
However, the answer should be sent to #520605 and the release-notes.

> - I recompiled my kernel:
>    $ uname -a
>    Linux flora 2.6.29.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 4 23:11:31 CEST 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Well, manually compiled kernels are not that easy to support ..
If you *really need* more recent kernels, you may use the snapshots from
the kernel team: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel

> - Bluetooth works technically ("hcitool" recognises my mobile phone, at least most of the
>    time) but no connection can be made and no higher-level programs like Wammu work whereas
>    on the other machines everything is fine.

I don't know anything about Bluetooth.

> - Another affected package is VLC which can only play audio.
>
> As you can see I am rather desperate, that's why I posted to a list.

I CC debian-user, they will certainly more efficient than me to help you
on that.

--
Simon Paillard