Two problems with installation of Lenny

I have two problems in installing Debian Leny:

1 - I installed a 32 bit version on and AMD, which installed correctly. I have other installations (Slackware 12.2 and Slackware 12.0, DLS, etc) on the machine. At the Grub menu, when I select Slackware 12.0 it boots with a minor error message. But Slackware 12.2 doesn't. It says that the file "/boot/vmlinuz-2.27.7.XXXXXX" not found. But both kernels ( for Slackware 12.0 and Slackware 12.2)  are present in the same (/boot) directory. Inversely when I re-write the boot record with LILO (in Slackware 12.0 or Slackware 12.2) both Slacks will boot but not Debian (kernel panic ......)
following is my configuration:
  hda1 = Slackware 12.0
  hdb5 = Slackware 12.2
  hdb9 = Debian Lenny

2 - I have just acquired ASUS with AMD Phenom Quad and NVIDIA GForce. I have installed Slamd64 ( a Slackware variant for AMD 64bit). It booted after the first shot and X used framebuffer as a default display drvier. I then downloaded the NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA and could install within seconds. Everything is working perfectly. Then I installed my 5 DVDs of Debian amd64. But at the end of the exercise X Windows could not fire up (screens not found, etc..) When I tried to install the NVIDIA driver I got the message "ld" not found. And truely I could not find it any where in the "bin"s. And there I am stuck. The only good news is that "Grub" can boot both Slamd64 and Debian

Thanks in advance for any help

Ibrahim