Etch (7.4) -> Lenny (8.3) PostgreSQL upgrade issues

I took the plunge and upgraded my server from etch to lenny last night.
It went mostly OK, but the PostgreSQL update didn't quite work out...

I did see the message during the 8.3 install indicating that manual
intervention was required and, per
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.3/README.Debian.gz, I issued the commands:

pg_dropcluster 8.3 main --stop
pg_upgradecluster 7.4 main

The second command, instead of performing the upgrade, responded with:

Error: specified cluster is not running

Er, OK...  There's still an /etc/init.d/postgresql-7.4, so tell that to
start.  It returned too quickly for me to believe it had done anything
and ps confirmed that no postgres processes were running.  Check dpkg
--get-selections, and 7.4 is deinstalled.  Fine.  Tell aptitude to
reinstall it.  But, alas, "No candidate version found for
postgresql-7.4".

Google has turned up a few discussions in the Debian BTS about whether
it would be a good or bad thing to fully-automate the PostgreSQL upgrade
process, but nothing that appeared relevant to getting this to work
(manually or automatically).

So, what do I need to do to recover from this?

--
Dave Sherohman
NomadNet, Inc.