Re: Bad sound

Kent West wrote:
> Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>> The last few days, sound (in particular music) is very bad on
>> my Sid system. It sounds distorted, as if above a certain
>> amplitude the signal is clipped.

> I had this problem for about the last year; last week I
> discovered one of the 3D channels was too high.

How did you discover this? I mean by which program: alsamixer,
alsactl, or something else?

In the meantime I found that the problem only occurs when xmms is
used for playing music. xmms used to work very well until a few
days ago, but now it sounds horrible. Using mplayer instead makes
the same music files sound perfect again.

I may be a bit behind the times in using xmms. Is there a
replacement (with approximately the same user interface) for xmms?
Does anyone know why xmms suddenly started to behave so badly?

Regards, Jan