Re: default web browser

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:15:58 +0000 (UTC)

> After running the update-alternatives commands, reportbug now uses
> dillo as I wanted it to.
>
> Anthony

Congratulations.  Still no luck here, but I feel I'm getting closer.  I
checked the links in the /etc/alternatives directory, to find the
following:

x-www-browser -->  /usr/bin/opera
gnome-www-browser -->  /usr/bin/galeon
www-browser -->  /usr/bin/lynx.cur

The first two are dead links.  I long ago removed both opera and
galeon, and gnome (replaced with iceweasel, and fluxbox respectively).
The last one is an active link, in that I do have lynx installed.

I suppose I could manually alter these links, but I'm thinking that
something should have automatically done this.  After all, I did run
the update-alternatives commands that another user kindly suggested.
The result of these commands seemed to suggest that my computer was
aware of iceweasel as being the only candidate for x-www-browser, and
yet still maintained the long ago deleted opera in its link.  A
mystery.  Something must be missing on my computer, but I'm not sure
what.

Mark